THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

BLS and more

What is BLS you may ask yourself? Basic Life Support. As in CPR and stuff. Last week, we had to go through our BLS training. And I have been saying all along that we should have been taught basic first aid and CPR. So when I heard we had to do this, I was quite excited about it...until I learned the truth.
Well, first of all, I pretty much already knew CPR and the Heimlich just from a CPR class I took before we moved to the Philippines. So, yes if you were choking and I just stood there, it's probably because I hate you....
CPR was day one, but after that, I thought we would learn other basic first aid...like putting on a bandaid if you get a minor cut, or using hydrogen peroxide...But nope, its not like that at all.
We were taught TRIAGE. And here, I thought they stopped teaching that to people in WWII. Well, I guess it's kinda nice to know that if my friend fractures a leg, I know how to tear up a shirt into a triangle, fold it into a bandage like strip, and bandage using the perfect square knot...all in less than a minute. It might not be the prettiest thing, but hopefully it would be effective. I would not really know because they demonstrated it to a class of 100 students in the middle of the room, with 30 different procedures, and not repeating one. Then they left us a alone to "practice" and basically teach ourselves.
I thought it might be cool to know these techniques, except now I don't remember any of them. Currently I am using the bandages (which we had to have made by a tailor within 24 hours) as my pot holder. Those pots are damn hot!
The other part of our training was EMERGENCY and RESCUE. I guess it sounds real cool, but when you think about it, it's quite ridiculous. They expect me, a person who can not even do an inch worth of a pull up, to run into a burning building, throw someone on my back and crawl out. Wouldn't I leave the fire stuff to...hmm I don't know...the firefighters?! If I saw a burning building, I would just stare at it, just wondering if everyone is ok. I might call the fire department, but there is no way in hell I am going to risk my own life inhaling a bunch of smoke, to "rescue" someone. Isn't it "women and children first"? Well Im a woman. I can help out with my pot holders...I mean bandages...if only I could remember which direction to fold the damn thing...


Oh well, I can just do CPR on the other guy.